Main content of the website


Deleau town site is situated along Highway #2. The Area around the present site of Deleau was originally surveyed in May of 1881.

Deleau is home to the soon-to-be world famous Deleau Centennial Park, which has just recently updated their washrooms. The community maintains this park and hosts annual slow-pitch ball tournaments, picnics and farmers markets.

The Deleau School District was organized in April 1893. Racially divided, the Belgium and French Roman Catholics settled and built a school; on the other side of town the Europeans settled, building their own school.  The racial Gap was closed in 1919, when the two schools consolidated. In 1919, it became the Deleau Consolidated School District when it was consolidated with Menteith Union School No. 313 and Maffan School No. 727. The district was dissolved in 1966 and henceforth students from this area went to Hartney Consolidated School No. 2389 or Souris Consolidated School No. 2388.

There are still descendants of the original settlers farming in the area today. They tell tales passed down from generations of hard times, good times and rum running to the states during Prohibition.